Wintercomfort’s Women Only Project was established in 2019 in recognition of the additional and complex challenges faced by homeless women. In line with the national average, approximately 14% of our service user community are women. A significant proportion of these women have lived experience of sexual and domestic violence leading to complex trauma which has contributed to their homeless status. In addition to the mainstream services available, the Wintercomfort’s Women Only Project provides specialist support to help these women to recognise their own value, to grow in self-confidence and resilience and to move beyond the vicious cycle of abusive relationships and repeated homelessness.
“I am proud to work with the extraordinary women who access our services.”
Alison, our Senior Women’s Project Worker
“By being part of this project, I hope that women will be encouraged to feel that their voices are being heard, to know their worth, and to gain a sense of the value they can contribute within the wider community.”
Melanie, our Women’s Project Worker
Our Women’s Only services include:
- ISVA (Independent Sexual Violence Advisor) accredited 1:1 support for women with experience of sexual violence
- 1:1 support for all women – including sex workers and trafficked women.
- Accommodation support
- Women-only group activities and events, in the building but also out in the community of women that is so strong in Cambridge
- Emotional support
- Referrals to a wide range of general, and gender informed services such as counselling
- Practical support to ensure they have the basics to maintain their dignity, such as toiletries and clean clothes
- A warm welcome, where they will be listened to and where they can make their own choices
- The freedom to meet where they feel safe, be it at home or in a coffee shop
- Advice and guidance on how to stay safe; with access to physical and mental health support.